Thursday 20 October 2016

Book

Today we are going to write about something  interesting, I think.
It has been hard to choose because I am often reading more than one thing at the time.  I read the newspaper, academic papers, stuff on meditation, essays, my students' blogs, etc. 
I started reading about the brain some years back when I studied language acquisition and education = learning processes.
However, later I decided to read beyond linguistics and education, and bought a really interesting book called “Mind map” The book I am devoting most time to at the moment is called “The emotional life of your brain” It is written by a neuroscientist (R. J. Davidson) and a health and science journalist (S. Begley).  I suppose I am reading it out of pleasure. The book is about different research done on the human brain and the different emotional styles, how genetics and environment influence them and how they develop. It also includes  the mind – body connection. Although I have onlt read about 80 pages, I'm really enjoying seeing how certain personality traits can be linked to certain hormones released in certain areas of the brain and some of these processes could be modified if there is will. It is  fascinating.. Chemical processes were never my thing at school but now it is fun. It also touches “abnormal “ conditions such as autism, which I find interesting.
I think I am enjoying it because there is no pressure involved. I just read a while before I go to sleep or during the day if I have the time.

Write about something you are reading at the moment.
Say
What it is called
Which genre it is ( novel, academic, manga, report, blog, etc)
Whether you are enjoying it
What it is about
Include anything else you find relevant.




Write a minimum of 210 words and 4 comments on different class blogs. Mine also counts :)

7 comments:

  1. The book seems very interesting. I like the topics about the chemistry, genetics, and the neuroscience sice I was in the school. Now in octber, is the book exhibition in Mapocho station. I will try to find that book there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is very funny te read about human brain because despite all of the researches about it, yet is an unexplored topic, and I guess that to read the student's blogs is the best to you haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that books about the language are very interesting, I had a subject about Linguistic and I knew a little more about this topic, and how the language construct reality. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that neuroscientist is a very interstig topic, maybe I will search this book :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe I can read this book too, I love neuroscience!! :D mind – body connection, so interesting topic... waaa.. I think we have A LOT of things to learn yet about brain... simply absorbing <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not really enthusiastic with this kind of reading, because it's difficult for me, I like more read about astronomy, but this post makes me remember Santiago Ramón y Cajal, and his maxim: meanwhile the brain be a mystery, the universe would be a mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, you're a polygamous reader! I also am :)
    Connection between mind and body is amazing. I know a little about the issue because I have food allergies (gluten and casein), therefore I have learned some... Digestive system regulates a lot of functions, hormones, neurotransmitters, serotonine... When digestive system get ill, it affect the mind too, it's not just backwards: a chronic stomachache can produce stress or depression. Mind and digestive system are like a two-ways road. My doctor told me that autist children improve a lot if they following a free-gluten diet. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete