Thursday 17 November 2016

Someone

 I suppose there are many people I admire. But today I will refer to one that I don’t always mention and has impressed me more than once.  He is called “the father of modern linguistics” by more than one. His name is Noam Chomsky.
I got to know about him when I was studying language acquisition. At the time we looked at the theory of universal grammar. He argued that the human brain has a system that allows any human to learn languages just by being in a linguistic environment in normal conditions. This was in the 1950s. During these years behaviorism was the main trend. In 1959 he criticized B. F. Skinner and argued behaviorism had no faith in linguistic creativity of humans when it comes to learning.  This was very controversial.

He has been in the public debate since the 1960s when he wrote a series of books criticizing the role of the US in the war of Vietnam. He also wrote other essays about Cambodia and the violation of human rights in general.  He has argued against the US intervention in different countries. He was arrested more than once back in the day.
He worked at the university of Harvard and has worked at MIT since 1955.
If I had the chance to meet him, I would ask him more in depth about his feelings  towards the role of the state of Israel  in Palestine and Arab countries in general. He has got really interesting views on this. Especially for an American born to Jewish parents.

Write about a public person you admire (Ideally Chilean, not necessarily, though).  Say:

How you got to know them
Give some general information about them
What you would ask her/him if you got to know them
Anything else you find relevant.


Write a minimum of 240  and 4 comments on any of the members' blogs

4 comments:

  1. The last year I had a subject of linguistics and I read to Chomsky and is very interesting his work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when the people designate itself as an Activist because that means that they recognize a constant fight with the things that they think unfair.
    I like Chomsky too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like Chomsky too, is very interesting yours aproachabout human brain has a system that allows any human to learn language

    ReplyDelete
  4. "brain has a system that allows any human to learn languages just by being in a linguistic environment in normal conditions" --> I love him <3 and later, he criticized Skinner! extra points!!
    is very interestig that also had this pulic debate with USA, Palestina and Israel

    ReplyDelete